Thursday, September 1, 2011

OKRA: MAYBE THEY'D MAKE A GOOD PAINTING?


For someone who doesn’t have a garden, want a garden, know what to DO with a garden, I have more okra and jalapenos (I don’t even know how to spell that correctly) in my freezer than anyone should have! They are in my freezer because I haven’t quite figured out what to do with those particular produce items that everyone keeps giving me. I remember the okra from my childhood being rather nasty. In cutting the strange vegetables, I learned that they surely must be the offspring of some mutant slime monster from the depths. They oooooooooooze! They drip and oooooooooooze! Eeww! As for the jalapenos, just cutting them up is a hazard. OSHA should be involved with the disposal of these fire- causing little green bombs. We could use these things in biological warfare against enemies foreign and domestic (that includes all brothers-in-law). I could really use the freezer space for more usable items, such as the wild boar someone shot, couldn’t eat, so gave it to us. I am a product of my upbringing, however. Never let ANYTHING go to waste. So I am now storing 4 years of okra and hot peppers with the hopes that someone will need them someday. Maybe there will be a big blight, and all of the world’s okra will be destroyed, and they will need mine to clone them (for some reason). Possibly medical researchers will come up with the cure to the common cold, and need my jalapenos. Or maybe you would like some? Do you need some yummy okra? Some spicy peppers to spice up your life? Hmm? Call me. We’ll talk……….

No comments: