Thursday, January 12, 2012

Unfinished Painting--Mountain Majesty or Monster?


Unfinished Painting--Mountain Majesty or Monster?



This final painting in the series of unfinished disasters is this mountain scene.  I have no idea what I had in mind when I started this, but it became increasingly dark and broody.  I think that I was trying to emulate one of my early art heroes, Charles Rhinehart.  He was exceptional at the art of the landscape, and followed along the steps of the masters.  I, unfortunately, do not have the knack of doing a landscape without a lot of angst and hair pulling.  I can't seem to make it come alive.  Does this painting deserve a bit of extra time to make it work?  I am REALLY not sure!  Something rather unexpected about this particular piece....it changes with the light in the studio!  When a sunbeam hits it, it becomes interesting and glorious.   When a dim light hits it, it becomes mystery-laden and scary.  I am not sure how that happened.  Or what to do with it.  Got any ideas?

No comments: