Just an update on how the Mammoth painting is going...I am repositioning the tusks, as you can see with my rough underpainting. He is looking a bit bow-legged as I am refiguring his body. Yes, I know his legs go too far up! Remember the process is a creative one! (Kind of reminds me of one of hubby's uncles, who used to wear his pants up to his chin) I have enlarged his ears, and I am now trying to reposition his body to the left. I am already happier with the results. Tomorrow I will lower the horizon line, as I think it is competing with the ears. Hubby has made me a moll stick, which is rather like a drawing bridge, to help me. The stick is about 30" long, with a ball at the end. I can lean it across the painting and steady my hand on it. It will really help when I start working the details of this huge piece! It is slow going right now, but once I get comfortable with the position of the underpainting, the rest will fly by! By the way, just because I wasn't sure what I was painting was a mammoth or a mastadon, I went back to do some research again (it has been 3 years since I started this painting!) and the differences between the two are unmistakable. This is definitely a Wooly Mammoth from the Siberian Tundra area. The mountain range behind is an actual place in Siberia, and the designs that I am carving into the tusks are from early native folklore. Hope to have much more done when I check back in!