Sunday, December 11, 2011

PAINTING MINIATURES: A LANDSCAPE IN ACRYLICS


The photo is 4"x6".  The painting is 3"x3".

Close up of  "A Montana Moment"
I am considering entering an art competition for 'miniatures only' this week, so I started out with a 3"x3" canvas and acrylics.  I chose a photograph that I took in the Rocky Mountains in Glacier National Park, Montana.  I did a vague sketch in pencil on the canvas itself, and then started painting in the sky.  I realized quickly that the biggest hurdle in the exercise was going to be conquering the canvas itself!  As you can see in the close-up,  the canvas is rougher than it looks.  Trying to put tiny details on those large threads became a major frustration.
First lesson in miniature painting....choose your base well.  I will be trying out masonite board next for a fine and even start.

No comments: