Saturday, December 8, 2012

INSIGHTS ON ART

PAINTING DONE WITH BILLY KIRK'S GUIDANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT

I took a painting workshop a few years ago from the impressionist landscapist, Billy Kirk (now deceased).  He was an amazing, thought-provoking instructor who was able to give me some valuable insights on art.

"In language, you can define words in a dictionary, but a true artists will form words into poetry."  In other words, an artist can technically be good, but it is the emotional aspects that turns it into real art.

"Take horror films - the most terrifying ones leave the most to the imagination."

This is the first time anyone has expressed it this way to me.  I keep being told by 'family' that my work is too detailed.  Now I am seeing that it isn't so much that, as I am relying too heavily on my technical training...not allowing my emotions to come into play.  Once again, I am hiding.  How do I allow that emotion to come out?  I have no idea, but I know what to work towards now.  Thank you, Billy Kirk, for your instruction, insights, and encouragement!

No comments: