Thursday, January 3, 2013

EMOTIONAL ART

Photo by Rose, filters added with Pixlrogram app.



EMOTIONAL ART

My young daughter once asked me why I couldn't use ALL of my emotions to paint.  Anger and paint equals Van Gogh masterpieces, right?  For me, my creativity shuts down when I am going through a negative emotion.  My hands shake and I can't let go, or stop THINKING and just paint.  An example that it runs in the family is my mother.  A watercolorist, she was taking a class after a particularly nasty divorce.  The instructor picked up on her anger from her paintings.  They all were red and black slashes of color in phallic shapes.  He said they made him uncomfortable to look at them without protection - her anger came through loud and clear.  Was it something intentional? No. I am thankful that I haven't been that emotionally distracted very often this year. However, If you have seen a bit of a slow down through the past few months, it is because my emotions and my painting haven't worked well together, and I have trashed everything I have done! Calm has descended upon my little world with the new year, and I look forward to growth in my art and in my heart.  I wonder if you have created something incredible while under great emotional duress...if you would like to share it, I will make a special guest blog spot just for you! After all, art is about sharing your heart and spirit with the world...

No comments: