Tuesday, January 1, 2013

AVOIDING THE ISSUE...IT HAS TO BE PERFECT!


Wooly Mammoth painting 3'x4', unfinished for 3 years!
 (see the finished painting in the blog archives)
 
 
AVOIDING THE ISSUE...IT HAS TO BE PERFECT!

 

More excerpts from my art journal on the creative process in my mind...

 

"It is amazing what you can accomplish when you are avoiding an especially daunting painting.  I had decided to do a particularly large piece, and it was in my mind exactly what I wanted.  I spent hours sketching, planning, doing thumbnails and color variations.  Then I discovered I HAD to rearrange the furniture.  I HAD to clean the oven.  I dug out half of the backyard to get a rock garden started.  I needed to make detailed pictures of the wild flowers growing on our property.  I HAD to finish a craft project that I had started five years earlier.  I HAD to make tiny bead dragonflies to sell at the upcoming festival, because the economy was too bad to sell 'real' art.  Eventually, however, you run out of excuses.  You feel so bad about avoiding the canvas that you creep up to the studio and stare at the canvas.  You even get the nerve up to gesso and tint the canvas...SO NOW WHAT???"

No comments: