Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Beginning of "Informalitea"

Today I am doing research for a new painting. I want to work on a still life that has been on my mind for some time.  I remember years ago, as a young military wife, the formal teas that I attended at the commander's houses.  You were required to wear dress, pumps and white gloves to the tea, (REALLY!  It wasn't THAT long ago!) and you had to mind your P's and Q's. (That's manners and attitude.  I always had a problem with the attitude part.)  I did hate the formality, and it was years before I could look at a good cup of tea  and enjoy it.
So in my mind is a tea laid out to enjoy.  "INFORMALITEA". I want to express my feelings of sheer joy at the freedom to enjoy that tea without worrying about holding the cup wrong, or saying something impolite.
Now, I will be honest, and mention that my biggest flaw is procrastination...or maybe it is blank canvas-itis.  I am petrified that my wonderful, brilliant creative ideas will NOT BE PERFECT.  I usually talk myself out of it before I even get started.  So here and now is where I will talk myself into producing art that doesn't have to be perfect.  My reason for painting this particular piece is to express joy.
Back to my research: In looking through a few historic still lifes, I came across a fascinating painting done by Juan Sanchez-Cotan.  He was a Renaissance painter in the late 1500's, early 1600's, and a lay brother in the Carthusian monastery.  His painting, entitled "Fruit Still Life" (I THINK that it can be seen in the San Diego Museum of Art, but don't quote me on that!) is an oil on canvas and features a few pieces of fruit and veggies on a window sill.  What fascinates me is that he was following a strict geometric structure, he deliberately chose to line them up, and you can feel the discipline and order in the painting.  So simple.  So FORMAL!  According to the text, Sanchez-Cotan was paying homage to neo-Platonic theories of proportion and harmony.  Now, most of this makes very little sense to me, nor do I much care about his worship of Plato, EXCEPT...he chose to hang some of his veggies from the ceiling to gain order and the proper composition.
WELL!  I care very much about composition, because I really want my paintings to make some impact.  I have studied the Golden Mean, and algebraic theories, but my mind refuses to get it.  Usually I follow a pyramid design, or the Rule of Threes.  The fact that Cotan used a rather unique way of getting his composition right really makes me think...can I use the same 'trick' of suspending items to paint a whimsical, informal piece?  In my mind, it is the perfect solution to emphasize the fun aspect of my 'tea party'.  I am off to do some sketches, and see what happens!


"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion.  You must set yourself on fire."                        ---Reggie Leach


This painting is called "Grandmother's Bean Pot" and it is one of my earlier still lifes done in oils.

No comments: