Sunday, February 13, 2011

FOCUS

An artist should always try to surround themselves with like-minded people, to stay inspired and encouraged.  I am especially lucky in that I am married to an artist, though he might not think he's so lucky!  Put two artists that close in proximity, and you get a rather volatile mix.  Sometimes we are both REALLY moody.  Sometimes we are both really feeling creative.  Most of the time we are out of balance, but any way we are, it seems to work.  Today, I am devoting my blog to him...Michael.  In particular, I will talk about his creative process, and how jealous I am of his focus!  I keep hoping that it will rub off on me.  So far, no luck...
He spent 28 years as a military officer,  a real live Alpha male.  They are not usually easy to get along with, but I met him  when I was only 17, he was only 18,  and he has always been especially gentle with me.  He learned a lot of really good habits in the military.  He learned to focus on the job and get it done, and then move on to the next job.  Nothing was too big or small to learn if it got the job done.  When he retired a few years ago, he applied the same focus on learning how to carve.  He needed something to do, and he had always wanted to carve, so he JUST DID!  Amazing! 
In the past few years, he has carved wood, alabaster, marble and granite.  He started carving wooly mammoth ivory jewelry for me, and it turned into a jewelry business.  He carved turquoise.  He carved Ostrich eggs. He continues to move forward, looking every day for a way to grow.  This month, he even published a book on Southern humor.  He sells his e-book "Breakfast at the Dixie Cafe" through Barnes and Noble at this site if you are interested:
and search for "Michael Altom"
He has started a second book, and is taking notes for a leadership book as well.  Talk about hard to live up to! But he has FOCUS!  He gets up in the morning with a plan, and he doesn't deviate from it.  He closes his studio doors, requires exclusion during his creative process, and he works on that one thing until it is done, learning from each mistake.  I make a mistake and run away for a few days from the project.  He simply takes a break, thinks about it, and works through it.  Or he scraps it and moves on.  I try to learn from him that determination, that focus, and that self-confidence will get it done.  I try NOT to be frustrated that I don't have the same Alpha personality that makes it possible.  





"When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece."    ---Anon.

No comments: