Sunday, February 20, 2011

PINEAPPLE SKETCH

I was inspired to sketch pineapple today.  I envisioned the tropics...the WARM tropics...with swaying palms and slanting sunbeams.  And for a little while, I almost felt the end of winter.  Drawing gives me possibilities.  When I pick up that pen, I can build a chance at something different.  I have often thought that I would like to be a children's book illustrator that could bring to life another world.  One of my favorite books as a child was 'The Borrowers' by Mary Norton.  The illustrators were Beth and Joe Krush and they used a rather Victorian style of drawing that brought to life a whole new world to me.  Because of those illustrations, I began looking at my own world differently.  I started drawing tiny little details that might have been from that 'Borrower' world, and expanded those into illustrating my own world.  My favorite thing today is to draw a tiny detail from nature and blow it up big to show the importance of even the smallest of creatures, and the smallest of plants in our world.  I LOVE to draw!

"I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose."                                                           ---Woody Allen

1 comment:

Secret Admirer said...

I would love to see the world through your eyes!