Tuesday, August 21, 2012

PATTERNS IN NATURE: SEASHELL INK DRAWING



I have always been fascinated by the patterns in nature.  On the back burners of my mind, is a project of a fancy photography coffee table book, featuring all of the natural stars in nature.  Did you know that if you snap a cottonwood tree twig at the joint, there is a perfect 5 point star inside?!! An apple core cross-sectioned has a star pattern. Amazing!....anyway, back to patterns....one of my favorite sketching projects is seashells and their patterns.  This shell, I used a sepia brush pen (extra large) to draw the patterns, and a small grey tone brush pen for the shading and outlines.  Sepia, to me, is a washed out warmish sienna.  I don't know what they were thinking with this 'sepia'  but you work with what you've got.  Next time I will use watercolors, I think!

No comments: