Thursday, March 17, 2011

ARTIST CHALLENGE!

Another first for this artist!  I have entered my first online challenge ever, and I wanted to include you all in the experience.  The Challenge Topic is "Tender is the Night", and I immediately thought of my Heron painting, as it was to me the most tender of vigils.  The Great Blue Heron is standing vigil over his nest while his mate is off hunting, and he is very serious and determined to guard his unborn brood.  The painting is called "Nighttime Vigil" and I painted it after a fishing trip to Minnesota, where I watched him come and go over the lake for a week.  He showed up every morning on the docks, and watched us prepare for our early morning fishing, and every evening he winged back to his nest to stand guard.  You can visit the sight and see all of the entries at the following link:


I am especially proud to be a part of this challenge, as I admire the website "Artists Challenge" a great deal.  I have been watching them, and they have exceptionally high ethics and a real purpose in supporting artists.
I look forward to being a part of it as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful painting. Van Gogh couldn't have done better. A real thought provoker and calming piece. I hope you win! Linda

Rose Altom said...

Thank you so much for your support, Linda. I forgot to mention that the challenge will be online starting this Saturday or Sunday, March 19 or 20. It will run all month. Thanks, again!