Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Meadowlark has to be one of the most joyful birds!  It throws back its head and bursts into song, and the delightful trilling up-and-down sound just puts you in a good mood.  I spent several years living in the prairie states of the U.S.... Wyoming, Montana, South and North Dakota, and  I spent a lot of time in Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska.  The Meadowlark is one of the dominant birds in these areas, and you couldn't get out in nature without hearing it.  Because it has lovely design in feather and form, I chose to draw it on scratchboard, and I am quite pleased with the result. 
I also decided to do a pen and ink drawing as well.  All of the reference photos that I took of this bird showed it singing, mouth open every time.  I couldn't get a picture with it just sitting still, minding its own business.  My husband says that this is why I identify with the bird.  Hmmm!

No comments: