Tuesday, March 1, 2011

GULF COAST TRIP

On the hunt for a peaceful moment, my husband and I headed south to the Gulf Coast for a few days.  What a difference a few hundred miles makes in weather!  While it was cold and tempestuous here in Tennessee, it was mild, warm and spring in Mississippi.  We chose a little bed and breakfast in Ocean Springs, and I was thrilled to see several camellia trees in the yard.  In full bloom!  We were only half a block from the ocean, and we spent our time walking the beach, picking up a few oyster shells, and enjoying the warm breezes.  I bought some watercolor pencils to play with, and brought my favorite Pilot pen to do some sketching.  I am inspired to do a painting of the Laughing Gull, a striking black and white seagull that flings it's head straight back to laugh when it calls out.  I saw the most amazing Brown Pelican that was posing on a post in the water...he actually had some green algae growing on his feathers.  I wonder if he is the Couch Potato of the bird world, or if algae grows on anything that sits down for a few moments. 

"Don't wait for your ship to come in - swim out to it!"                 ---Anon


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your description of the coast make us all feel like we have missed something. I think you could write a book and illistrate it too. So proud to be your friend

Secret Admirer said...

I wish I was there, oh, wait, I Was! But you make it sound even better.