Monday, April 4, 2011

Sketchbook Hell

I learned something incredibly helpful today.  I was looking through a new book, "Sketchbook Confidential" by Pamela Wissman and Stefanie Laufersweiler.  It has tips from the private sketches of over 40 master artists.  I noticed that their sketches were much freer than mine, more expressive and creative, and in flipping through several of my own sketchbooks, I found myself rejecting many sketches because they were not perfect, they were unfinished.  The tiny 'clue bell' went off in my head - I wasn't sketching at ALL!  I was doing complete pieces and missing that all-important step of capturing the essence and emotion of the subject AND the moment.    Dear! Dear! Dear!  I am going to have to go back to step one and relearn a few things.  Especially: my sketches should be my learning phase, not perfect every time.  Will I EVER become an artist?!

No comments: