Monday, April 25, 2011

TEXTURES



In preparation for my collared lizard painting, I have been testing out a few possibilities for textures.  My usual way of doing reptile skin and scales is to individually paint each scale, adding up to 10 glazes for depth.  Truly a labor of love, but I am trying to become more spontaneous with my work.  I want to grow, show more emotion with the paint, and communicate.  With that in mind, I headed for the hardware store and found some concrete board tape to play with.  I thought that it would lay down the darkest 'shadow' of the scales, and I would paint through the mesh to add the highlights.  Nothing ever comes out quite as you think!  For one thing, the kitty decided she needed attention NOW, and jumped into the middle of the first batch of paint swatches.  After cleaning that up and trying again, she chose to dip her tail into my palette.  I had to chase her around the house a few times trying to grab her tail and wipe it down.  Thank heaven I chose to experiment with acrylics instead of oils!  I am still undecided whether the textures are going to work, but I had fun trying, and I now have to sit and think about the lizard and what HE wants me to do...........


No comments: