Thursday, May 31, 2012

THOUSAND LAKES HERON: WATERCOLOR OF MINNESOTA

THOUSAND LAKES HERON
 
I tried to show the lushness of the forests in Minnesota with this watercolor.  I used a lot of thalo, blues and greens, to get an almost unnaturally deep color that can get really overwhelming if you have ever been there.  The woods are thick, (I am sure Big Foot, Sasquatch and Yeti all gather there for family reunions) interspersed with big lakes, little lakes, and medium sized lakes.  It is truly an amazing state!  Years ago, we met family up at a cabin in the depths of the Minnesota woods to go fishing.  What amazed me most was the boldness of the bald eagles and great blue herons.  They weren't bothered by the noisy groups of people.  They posed, preened, and went about their business without a bit of self-consciousness.  I could learn a thing or two from them...

HERON: DETAIL 1

HERON: DETAIL 2

No comments: