Tuesday, May 22, 2012

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK SKETCH



One of the things that we always did throughout our travels was take the children to as many of the National and State Parks as possible.  My greatest role models in the art world were those artists that painted the wild lands of our great nation in such a way as to inspire the American people to protect them. I wanted my children to see and experience the incredible places, like Yellowstone, Yosemite and Glacier.  This is a sketch in gel ink.  I find that gel ink is difficult to work with because it is so consistent...the flow is the same throughout, and you can't get a lot of variance in it.  My favorite pen to work with is an old ballpoint pen that is running low on ink, and gives a nice skip to the strokes.  I guess I like the occassional 'accidental' line that has some surprises to it!   Yosemite was one of my favorite memories...while we were visiting, we were lucky enough to see a black bear with her twin cubs.  Mama bear was catching trout out of the stream and feeding it to the babies.  What a miracle to experience!

No comments: