Friday, May 13, 2011

BEGINNINGS




I went to University to get my Fine Arts degree in education.  I thought that teaching art to children was what I was going to do.  Fate sent me in a new direction, however, when the government cut art and music programs from the public school systems.  I have since spent my career  teaching art to adults, usually at the education centers on military bases.  Occasionally I was able to give art lessons to children on a one-to-one basis, and truly enjoyed the experiences.  Children are an open book.  They are able to experiment and risk when an adult fights the experience all the way.  You can instruct them on warm and cool colors, and they will paint the sea orange and the sun blue, just to see what it looks like.  I believe that we all start as artists, and then slowly talk ourselves out of it. 
My grandson sent me a picture that he drew this week.  I am blown away by his imagination, his symbolic uses  for the sun and wind, and the beautiful rich colors.  Yes, I am a proud Grandma...but I am also a person with admiration for a budding artist whose potential is easy to see.  I am inspired by his use of color combinations and his simple, clean lines.   Artists get their inspiration from other artists, nature, light and life.  What inspires you?

No comments: