Tuesday, May 31, 2011

JOPLIN: A SMALL MEMORY

My brothers and I grew up in Joplin, Missouri on a small suburban street.  Patterson Avenue.  It hit us really hard to hear that in the recent category 5 tornado that tore through the state, our little part of it, our piece of that street and that house is gone.   None of us live in Joplin anymore.  My older brother left Patterson Avenue to join the Navy.  My younger brother and I moved to new places.  But it was at that house that we had our best memories of childhood.  All three of us were together, having pillow fights, getting our tonsils out, riding bicycles and playing with frogs.  I see the devastation on the news and mourn for those who lost their lives, their homes and livelihoods.  I think about the people we once knew and wonder if they still live there.  I am saddened by the loss for all of us, even those who haven't lived there in 30 years and have had their memories changed forever.  Places we have been have connections to our lives.  Joplin helped to create something unique in my brothers and I.  Every place I have ever lived has meant something, molded me through experiences and roots.  This is just a small memory of a special place, and my acknowledgement that Joplin is important to the world. Important to everyone. 

No comments: