Monday, May 2, 2011

SNOW HARES


This painting of snow hares was my first ever oil painting.   I am featuring it today to remind myself how far I have come, and maybe how far I have NOT come.  In other words, what has changed in my work in the past 10 years?  Have I grown?  I looked up an old art instructor that I had about 15 years ago...she now has a website and an art school.  Her recent work and her old work was indistinguishable.  It struck me that I expected change and growth in her, and I probably hadn't done a lot of growth in my own work, either.  So I am looking hard at my work.  I sometimes feel that I was better technically in my earlier work.  I have been moving towards more abstract backgrounds for some of my paintings lately.  I am frustrated thinking about whether it is better, however.  I have even been considering using some collage methods to illustrate my thoughts in some of the paintings, and worried whether that is going in the direction of craftsman rather than artist...I had a rather rigid classical art background that looks down its nose at less traditional methods.  Growth, however, isn't possible without experimentation.  What to do? What to do???  I ask you,  what do you think out there?  Do you have thoughts on change, growth and art in your own life? 

No comments: