Sunday, May 1, 2011


I did this painting with the intentions of a looser style, and an emotional connection to one of my favorite sports.  I failed miserably.  I am unhappy with a variety of things about this painting.  Representationally, it is not quite correct.  The color palette was all wrong for the subject, though it does kind of bring back a nostalgic feeling.  The sea shell is too thick, the bobber is wobbly, the paint is too thick.  Yet I did learn from this painting.  I tried a variety of techniques to get the feeling of sand.  Some of them were watercolor techniques that don't work as well with acrylic.  I tried for an oil painting style with the acrylics, as well.  I know that doing it again, I would do a lot of things differently, but I am trying hard not to feel like a failure with this one.  I am trying to change my "everything has to come out perfectly" attitude and be happy with the chance to learn from the experience. 
"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. "Charles Horton Cooley

No comments: