Sunday, May 22, 2011

GRAPHITE: ROCK PILE

ROCK PILE
Working with graphite for me is like coming home...I started out drawing with pencils and learned so much about shading and line with a basic 2B.  This sketch was done from my collection of ocean rocks and driftwood from the Pacific Ocean.  I have kept the smooth stones in a jar for years, and added to the collection every time I happened to get to the beaches for peaceful walks and happy moments.  The cactus was a last minute addition, as I felt I needed some sharp edges for some contrast.  I drew this particular piece because I am missing my daughter (who lives in California where I collected these stones) and it brought her a bit closer.  I thought of the many walks along the beach we had together while picking up some of these rocks. I feel more at peace having completed the drawing.  Art really is therapeutic!!!

No comments: