Wednesday, August 3, 2011

BEAR CUB MINIATURE


Smoky Mountain Bear Cub




I did another miniature....2"x3" acrylic on canvas.  My intention was to get something.....ANYthing completed in one day!  Sometimes the big paintings can get so bogged down that they don't want to be completed!  So  small is in right now.  I kept it simple, just enough detail to give you attitude and innocence.  Interesting story...I was hiking up in the Smoky Mountain National Park, not too far from the main roads, just off of Alum Trail.  Out of the brush comes this sweet baby, who was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him.  Quick to my camera, I took a few reference photos, as I was very CAREFULLY backing away!  Mama bear is always nearby, and you do NOT want to get between her and her baby.  I count myself lucky to have seen this cub, survived it, and not disturbed it.  I took creative license with the colors.  I was thinking it was so black it shimmered blue, so that is how I painted the fur.  Normally I will add the complimentary color for contrast, but I chose a pinky flesh tone for the white muzzle.  Subtle, and I am hoping it projects the cub's curiosity and youth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in the Smoky Mtn area and have seen twin cubs in that same area!

Anonymous said...

I ran into a Grizzly Bear at Glacier National Park once. I had bells on my walking stick to warn them away, but mama bears don't care about that when protecting their young!

Anonymous said...

I'm from the city, and I;m glad you paint nature so that I can see it but not up that close!