Tuesday, August 23, 2011



The eagle is starting to shape up nicely.  Today I chose some of the colors for the beak, and waffled between Hensa Yellow and Cadmium Yellow Medium.  After experimenting directly on the painting, I chose the Cad. Yellow.  It has a warmer feel about it.  I also chose Cadmium Red Light to mix my gold and oranges with and did the first layering of color to build up the shadows.

I completed the eye immediately.  If I don't get the eye right, the whole painting has to be scrapped.  I wanted to get the sharp alertness that an eagle has, and that beautiful golden glow and depth. I will tweak it at the end of the painting, but for the most part, it is done.

I continue to adjust the sketch as I go along.  This session I noticed a problem with the beak, and 'fixed' it with the charcoal first.  I use the soft charcoal because I can wipe it off easily and redo over and over and over, until I get it right.

I mixed my own black for the eye and shadows on the bird.  My mix: Ultramarine Blue, Dioxazine Purple, Hunter Green, and Raw Sienna. 


Anonymous said...

That eye is amazing! DaVinci would be proud of that! Bet it would make a nice beaded bag......hummmm

Christine said...

Eye like it, too!