Tuesday, August 23, 2011

OWL OBSESSION






I don't know why our household has an obsession with owls.  When we lived in New Mexico, I learned about animal spirits and fetishes of the Native Americans.  My mother felt her animal spirit was the bear.  I eventually felt 'chosen' by an owl, as they have been popping up in my life for years.  Burrowing owls in South Dakota would peek at me from their ground burrows in our back yard.  A huge barn owl targeted me in Wyoming, scaring the living daylights out of me!  I eventually named my art studio "Wise Woman Studios" with the owl as my logo.  Over the years, owls have exploded out of all proportion in our home.  I am not much of a collector (well, except for tea infusers...and rocks shaped like hearts...and children's books)  Anyway, every time I run across a particularly realistic and beautiful owl figurine, it comes home with me.  It has become addictive, and maybe infectious, too.  My hubby started with carving an owl into my art supply box.  Then he found a piece of wood that begged to be carved with an owl.  Then it was a piece of grey speckled granite, and old wooden spools.  Not to mention all of the drawings and paintings I have been called upon to create.  Weird how life heads you towards something!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I have the same problem with frogs! And people keep giving me more, so I cant get rid of them all!

Anonymous said...

What a talented household! With two artist studios. Lou says our couch gives a new meaning to......
Studio Couch.